Darktable 2.2.5 the most recent release, is the fifth bugfix release and as we already know, darktable is an open source photography workflow application and RAW developer. It can also be described as a virtual light-table and darkroom app for photographers. Lets see what the darktable features are before we install darktable on ubuntu.
Darktable Photo Workflow Features
- Runs on various OS platforms like Linux, Mac OS X, as well as Solaris 11
- Comes with a fully non-destructive editor
- Its core functions operate on 4×32-bit floating point pixel buffers, hence enabling SSE instructions for speedups
- Has a collectable module that allows you to execute flexible database queries, search your images by tags, image rating (stars), color labels and many more
- You can import a variety of standard, raw and high dynamic range image formats (e.g. jpg, cr2, hdr, pfm, .. ).
- darktable has a zero-latency fullscreen, zoomable user interface through multi-level software caches.
- Tethered shooting support
- darktable currently comes with 21 translations: Albanian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portugese (Brazilian and Portugese), Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian.
- The powerful export system supports Picasa webalbum, flickr upload, disk storage, 1:1 copy, email attachments and can generate a simple html-based web gallery. darktable allows you to export to low dynamic range (JPEG, PNG, TIFF), 16-bit (PPM, TIFF), or linear high dynamic range (PFM, EXR) images.
- darktable uses both XMP sidecar files as well as its fast database for saving metadata and processing settings. All Exif data is read and written using libexiv2.
Darktable Photo Workflow changelog
- When appending EXIF data to an exported image, do not fail if reading of EXIF from the original file fails
- Support XYZ as proofing profile
- Clear DerivedFrom from XMP before writing it
- bauhaus: when using soft bounds, keep slider step constant
- Some GCC7 build fixes
- cmstest: fix crash when missing XRandR extension.
- Fix crash in Lua libs when collapsing libs
- Mac packaging: some fixes
- RawSpeed: TiffIFD: avoid double-free
- Fix a few alloc-dealloc mismatches
How to install Darktable Photo Workflow on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10 and Ubuntu 16.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install darktable
How to uninstall Darktable from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove darktable