PlayOnLinux 4.2.10 the most updated version, is a front-end application for Wine, that enables you to easily install as well as run many windows apps on a Linux desktop. As well as the software been open-source hence free, it does not require a Windows licence to use it.
Note: While PlayOnLinux version 4 series had been around for a while now, while PlayOnLinux 5 is now currently under active development. There are tools available to track and help contribute the code for the upcoming version
- You don’t have to own a Windows license to use this application
- PlayOnLinux is based on Wine, hence profiting from all its features
- Also Play On Linux is free software, as well as it uses Bash and Python to function
- Wine 1.8 staging is now the default wine version on OSX. As a result of the the improvement of the build process, the compiler now supports ms_hook_prologue hence improving the hot patching functionality, thanks to wine-staging team
- Additional wine staging instructions put in place so that they are fully supported by the scripts.
- Improvement made in the wineprefix tab in the configuration panel
- [There is a forum you can participate in if you want up-to-date information]
How to install PlayOnLinux on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf, Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet, Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr, Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Linux Mint 17 Qiana, Pinguy OS 14.04, Elementary OS 0.3 Freya, Deepin 2014, Peppermint 6, Peppermint 5, LXLE 14.04
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install playonlinux
How to uninstall PlayOnLinux from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove playonlinux