Microsoft Visual Studio Code 1.16 the most recent release, is a free code editor used by every developer to edit, build, and debug codes. It provides editing and debugging support, with an extensibility model, as well as lightweight integration with existing tools. Before we proceed to install Visual Studio Code on Ubuntu, lets take a quick look at its features and latest release changelog.
Visual Studio Code Features
- Offers a helpful syntax highlighter and autocomplete feature that provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules
- There is a built in GUI for Git for the most common commands which makes it really easy to instantly see the changes you’re making in your project
- Comes with an integrated terminal with ability to handle multiple instances
- Its customizable using extensions and themes
- It offers icon theme so that you can switch between icon themes in the same manner you’d switch code themes
Visual Studio Code 1.16 Changelog
- Windows: Cannot save hidden files
- Explorer: allow to collapse a sub-tree fully via Alt-click
- VSCode is not per monitor DPI aware
- Support files.eol as multi root folder setting
- Using integrated terminal to cat file with lots of unicode hangs terminal
- Icon shapes broken with rendering artifacts
- Backspace can not erase the last one character during Chinese/Japanese IME conversion (macOS)
- terminal.integrated.rightClickCopyPaste isn’t working on x64 build
- HTML tag auto close – Improved editor productivity with automatic close tags.
- Color picker in HTML – You can now use the VS Code color picker in HTML files.
- Integrated Terminal quick open – Create or jump to terminals from VS Code Quick Open.
- Drag and drop from search – Quickly open files from Search and also the Problems panel.
- New online documentation – New Emmet topic and updates to the Node.js Deployment tutorial.
- VS Code “recipes” repository – Examples using React, Angular and Docker in VS Code.
- Preview: Multi-root workspaces – Smoother UI when adding folders and creating a Workspace (Insiders build).
- Preview: Multiple SCM providers – With multiple folders, you can have multiple source control providers (Insiders build).
- Multi-root tips for extension authors – Update your extension to work seamlessly with multi-root workspaces.
- [See release notes for full details]
Install Visual Studio Code 1.16 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.04
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget https://az764295.vo.msecnd.net/stable/787b31c0474e6165390b5a5989c9619e3e16f953/code_1.16.0-1504714824_i386.deb sudo gdebi code_1.16.0-1504714824_i386.deb
sudo apt-get install gdebi wget https://az764295.vo.msecnd.net/stable/787b31c0474e6165390b5a5989c9619e3e16f953/code_1.16.0-1504714880_amd64.deb sudo gdebi code_1.16.0-1504714880_amd64.deb