Kadu Instant Messenger is a free fast, user-friendly, as well as flexible open-source Gadu-Gadu and Jabber/XMPP protocol Instant Messenger client for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Windows. The last released version v4.3 had deprecated parts of Kadu 4 code removed. Furthermore, Kadu 4 was no longer able to import configuration from Kadu 0.6.5 and previous versions.
Please note according to update status of Kadu on thier homepage “Kadu is no longer actively maintained. New versions will not be released until someone picks ups this project.”
Following plugins were removed:
- amarok1_mediaplayer – Amarok 1 is no longer in development
- encryption_ng, encryption_ng_simlite – replaced by encryption_otr
- growl_notify, itunes_mediaplayer – Kadu no longer supports MacOS X
- history_migration, profiles_import – there is no need to import Kadu 0.6.5 configuration anymore
- phonon_sound – default sound plugin is good enough
- falf_mediaplayer – Falf no longer in development
Simplified hints plugin
- Configuration of hints plugin was greatly simplified hence allowing many of hints’ bugs to be fixed
- Also Gadu-Gadu protocol supports synchronization of multisession statuses. If user is logged on Gadu-Gadu using more than one device, then Kadu will respect status changes made on these devices.
Better Windows integration
- Status buttons in preview window:
- Quckly jump to current/recent chats from taskbar:
- Also it has better Windows integration.
You can now change status using buttons in preview window on taskbar. Taskbar context menu allows for quick access to current/recent chats using Jump Lists.
How to install Kadu Instant Messenger on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mati75/kadu sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kadu
How to remove Kadu from Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04
sudo apt-get remove kadu